13.6.16

I have very few regrets in my life...

...but not photographing all of my knitted and crocheted pieces is definitely one of them. Just a few days ago I started adding my projects to my Ravelry page, always wanted to do that :) Then I realized most things I made are out of my reach, I simply gave them away with all the joy it brings without taking photos first and I'm just not the kind of person to start bothering anyone after some time has passed... So all I have is what I kept for myself or maybe some photos of things I made for my closest family. And I was so wrong...

This is me with my husband Dean before it all started. It's September 2011 and just moments before this was taken I got my MSc in Applied Math, yay! 5 days before, we got married, double yay! We were supposed to move to Innsbruck so I could start my PhD that October and things were looking up. Although I learned how to crochet and knit as a child and I made some things here and there, at the time it was far behind me...

And then all the reality and worries came upon us... Moving to Innsbruck was postponed until spring, Dean was unemployed, I got a job that was way over my head... When you're a student, you are going through a lot, but always with a bunch of other guys, coping together; in real life, nobody cares. I had to do something to make it easier... And we all know what kind of a therapy crafting is.

He needed a hat so I made one, nothing much... Then I wanted to try something bigger, since I only made small things before that, so I made a sweater for a friend, it went well and I was hooked :) That was probably the finest and the most appreciated gift I ever made. There is no photo, of course, but who cared back then, I was finally having fun! This guy was wearing it proudly and when the weather got warmer, he came to me and explained how he had washed it carefully and stored it until the next winter to make sure nothing happened to it. I was astonished!

When we did move to Innsbruck, as things got more serious with our life in the new place, my knitting got more serious, too. I've made many things and most of them I gave away, for some I know they are loved, for some I'm not so sure... And it's o.k. One should not give away something that one can't part with. I'm not making big or very expensive gifts anymore. Sometimes it even pays off. In 2014, I wanted to learn how to knit socks, so I tried it all, toe up, top down, different heals, solid or changing colors, lace, cables and such. A big batch of Christmas presents. That time I didn't even care if they don't want their feet to be warm :) Surprisingly enough, that was the only time that I got a spontaneous photo from my brother who loved his pair!


In the end, I understand, understand that most people who don't do it themselves can't estimate the time or the effort, not the mention the price of yarn. 5 years ago I had no idea :) After a while, I don't even ask, if they don't tell about the piece. That way I don't have to imagine it on the bottom of that big pile of things someone is not wearing or using. But I don't understand why I simply forgot to take those photos.

I wish I had taken the photos to let me remember after some time. It's not like it hurts the person who's getting the present, or making you like one of those people who make photos of each meal they have. It adds to those crafting moments you don't forget. Like finishing your first project. Realizing you have a stash. Or that first look in your husband's eyes, not complaining or judging, just trying to understand why you need some more yarn :) Some people, not me, can also go through all those cute photos of all those precious hours that went away to make someone else happy.

The worst thing is, I keep doing it all over again. I made a lovely baby dress with a lacy skirt and satin bow, booties with the same bow and made up a pattern for a matching hat. It was adorable and I didn't even get the chance to ever see the baby since the parents had to move away before she was born. They even believed it was bought in a store (they meant this as a compliment :) And no photo for me... Even made the same pair of booties for another baby I didn't meet in the end. You can guess I didn't take a photo. And the list goes on and on... Damn! I have no idea why I keep on doing that and will I ever change...

No comments:

Post a Comment